LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team had no trouble with Sonoma State Saturday as it rolled to a dominating 9-0 victory at Northview Courts.
UCSD, ranked 28th nationally and fifth in the West, won all six singles matches in straight sets.
The Tritons got out to a 3-0 lead with a trifecta of wins in doubles play. Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa defeated Seth Hein and Jimmy Manning, 8-4, in the No. 1 spot. Max Jiganti and Kona Luu earned an 8-3 victory at No. 2 against Ryan Harris and Matt Roberts, while Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong downed Drexler Dy and Robert Henry, 8-4, in the No. 3 spot.
It was the eighth win of the season for the duo of Jiganti and Luu, who hold an 8-3 mark in doubles matches.
UCSD kept rolling right through the singles contests. Salomon and Roberts met at No. 1 with the Triton senior winning by scores of 6-1 and 6-3. Also victorious were Jiganti at No. 2, Herekar at No. 3, Truong at No. 4, Horea Porutiu at No. 5 and Guy Giubilato at No. 6.
Porutiu gave up just one game in his match.
The Tritons now own a 7-5 duals record. The Seawolves are 2-10 overall.
UC San Diego hosts Fresno Pacific on Sunday, March 10 at 11 a.m.
#28 UC San Diego 9, Sonoma State 0
March 09, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Matt Roberts (SSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Robert Henry (SSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Drexler Dy (SSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Ryan Harris (SSU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Jimmy Manning (SSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Guy Giubilato (UCSD) def. Vincent Paganetti (SSU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Seth Hein/Jimmy Manning (SSU) 8-4
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Ryan Harris/Matt Roberts (SSU) 8-3
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Drexler Dy/Robert Henry (SSU) 8-4
Sonoma State 2-10
UC San Diego 7-5; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,5,2,6,4)
-- UCSDtritons.com --