ROHNERT PARK, Calif. - A 2-1 lead after doubles play didn't hold up as the 28th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team was defeated, 6-3, by No. 12 Fresno Pacific Friday afternoon on the campus of Sonoma State University.
UCSD dropped to 10-9 overall while FPU, winners of four of its last five, is now 13-6.
For the fifth consecutive outing, the Tritons held an advantage in doubles. At No. 1, Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa defeated Kyle Rowe and Kirill Sinitsyn, 8-5. In the No. 3 match-up on the doubles ladder, Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong were victorious against John Karlman and Stefan Loop, edging their opponents by a 9-8 count.
UCSD's lone singles win came at No. 2 as Max Jiganti defeated Amarit Sanchez in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Jiganti, a junior, has won his last five singles matches and is 11-5 overall this season.
Kona Luu and Horea Porutiu each won the first set of their singles tilts, but ended up falling in three.
"We had opportunities, but just couldn't take advantage of them," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "
The Sunbirds also defeated the Tritons on March 10 in La Jolla, 5-4.
UCSD takes on Sonoma State Sunday at 10 a.m. It will be the second meeting between the two teams this season as UCSD earned a 9-0 shutout against the Seawolves at home on March 9.
#12 Fresno Pacific 6, #28 UC San Diego 3
April 05, 2013 at Rohnert Park, CA (SSU Tennis Courts)
1. Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-1, 7-5
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Amarit Sanchez (FPU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
4. Marco Gabriel (FPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kyle Rowe (FPU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
6. Stefan Loop (FPU) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Kyle Rowe/Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) 8-5
2. Amarit Sanchez/Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-3
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. John Karlman/Stefan Loop (FPU) 9-8 (7-4)
Fresno Pacific 13-6; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #3
UC San Diego 10-9; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --