LA JOLLA, Calif. - In its third match of six straight at home, the 17th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team was blanked, 9-0, by No. 3 Barry at Northview Courts Tuesday.
UCSD now carries a 6-8 record this season, while Barry remains undefeated at 10-0.
Barry won five of the six singles match-ups in straight sets.
Senior Tara Vanooteghem was the lone Triton to take a match past two sets. At No. 4 singles, she went up against Blanka Szavay, dropping the first set by a score of 6-4 and coming back to win the second, 7-5. Szavay went on to win the super tiebreaker, 10-6.
In the No. 1 singles match-up, sophomore Kyra Scott took on Emma Onila. Onila handily won the opening set, 6-1, but Scott put up a fight in the second frame and eventually fell, 7-6. Onila is ranked eighth nationally in singles play, while Scott is 32nd.
The Buccaneers won the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles contests by an 8-1 count. In the No. 1 match, Scott and sophomore Paula Chou lost, 8-3, against Onila and Linda Fritschken, the nation's top-ranked doubles squad.
The Tritons host Academy of Art on Sunday, March 9, at 11 a.m. The Urban Knights hold a No. 13 national ranking.
#3 Barry 9, #17 UC San Diego 0
March 4, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Emma Onila (BU) def. Kyra Scott (UCSD) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Karina Goia (BU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
3. Anaeve Pain (BU) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Blanka Szavay (BU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-4, 5-7, 10-6
5. Kimmy Twelker (BU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Akemi Maehama (BU) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
1. Linda Fritschken/Emma Onila (BU) def. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-3
2. Anaeve Pain/Kimmy Twelker (BU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-1
3. Elisabeth Abanda/Karina Goia (BU) def. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) 8-1
Barry 10-0; National ranking #3
UC San Diego 6-8; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,6,3,1,4)