LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 17th-ranked UC San Diego women’s tennis team posted a dominating 9-0 victory against Western New Mexico at Northview Courts Wednesday afternoon.
With the win, UCSD improved to 6-9 overall while WNMU fell to 0-12.
The Tritons won all six singles match-ups against the Mustangs in straight sets.
Kyra Scott was a winner at the top of both ladders. In No. 1 singles, she defeated Ganna Tiurina 6-1 and 6-1. She also teamed with Paula Chou at No. 1 doubles to take a commanding 8-2 win against Marie Monier and Tiurina.
Chou was victorious in her No. 2 singles match, downing Monier 6-3, 6-1. Nava Nowamooz won at No. 3 singles, Tara Vanooteghem came out on top in the No. 4 tilt, Shannon Theisen won at No. 5 and Lisa Asai took the No. 6 match.
The duo of Nowamooz and Theisen defeated Dena Irvin and Diamond Morrill at No. 2 doubles, 8-3. At No. 3, Liza Brusman and Monica Yassear made their first appearance this season on the courts and posted an 8-2 victory against Marissa Aguirre and Claudia Osuna.
Next up, UCSD hosts Hawaii Pacific on Saturday, March 15, at 2 p.m. The Sea Warriors are ranked fourth nationally.
#17 UC San Diego 9, Western New Mexico 0
March 12, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #32 Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Ganna Tiurina (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Marie Monier (WNMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) def. Claudia Osuna (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Diamond Morrill (WNMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) def. Dena Irvin (WNMU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Lisa Asai (UCSD) def. Marissa Aguirre (WNMU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Marie Monier/Ganna Tiurina (WNMU) 8-2
2. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) def. Dena Irvin/Diamond Morrill (WNMU) 8-3
3. Liza Brusman/Monica Yassear (UCSD) def. Marissa Aguirre/Claudia Osuna (WNMU) 8-2
Western New Mexico 0-12
UC San Diego 7-9; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,3,4,5,1,2)