LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 17 UC San Diego women's tennis team came up short in its home opener against Point Loma Nazarene Monday, falling by a final tally of 7-2 at the Northview Tennis Courts.
PLNU won five of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests in its season opener. UCSD dropped to 0-3 with the loss.
Tritons Samantha Yeung, Tara Vanooteghem, and Jacquelyn Davis all forced three sets in their singles match-ups. Davis was the only one to come out a winner, defeating Kiersten Steinhauer, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3, in the No. 5 spot.
At No. 1 singles, Melissa Breisacher was narrowly defeated by Maika Adair, 7-5 and 7-6.
"Even though we lost, I am encouraged with the team's improvement, especially in singles," said UCSD head coach Liz LaPlante. "We have some work to do in doubles and after we settle on which teams work the best, we will improve with each match."
PLNU, currently ranked No. 11 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), is competing in its final season as a member of the NAIA before escalating to an NCAA Division II squad next year.
The Tritons travel to Glendale, Ariz., to compete in the Arizona Invitational Feb. 10-12. They'll take on Dominican, Grand Canyon and Academy of Art.
No. 17 UC San Diego, 2 vs. No. 11 Point Loma Nazarene, 7
February 6, 2012
Northview Tennis Courts
La Jolla, Calif.
1. Maika Adair/Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) def. Melissa Breisacher/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 8-6
2. Jessica Kwan/Kiersten Steinhauer (PLNU) def. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 8-2
3. Katie Mulloy/Laura Wilke (UCSD) def. Wileen Chui/Samantha Mohr (PLNU) 8-4
1. Maika Adair (PLNU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 7-5, 7-6
2. Hope Penner (PLNU) def. Melinda Chu (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) def. Samantha Yeung (UCSD) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Jessica Kwan (PLNU) def. Katie Mulloy (UCSD) 6-0, 6-4
5. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Kiersten Steinhauer (PLNU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. Wileen Chui (PLNU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
- UCSDtritons.com -