LA JOLLA, Calif. - In its final home match of the season Wednesday afternoon, the No. 19 UC San Diego women's tennis team trounced crosstown rival Point Loma Nazarene, 8-1, at Northview Tennis Courts.
With four matches remaining, UCSD holds a 12-6 overall record. The 12 victories are the most for the Tritons since the 2010 season. PLNU is now 8-14 on the year.
UC San Diego came out hot and swept the doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead. The Tritons also won the first three singles matches that finished to go up by a score of 6-0.
Davis' 6-1, 6-0 win against Kiersten Steinhauer clinched the match for UCSD.
Vanooteghem downed Preethika Venugopal in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 10-5, for her seventh consecutive win in singles play. It was the lone singles match that went more than two sets.
In the No. 1 doubles contest, Melissa Breisacher and Scott defeated Maika Adair and Sharon Reibstein, 8-3. Chou and Davis took out Hope Penner and Venugopal, 8-3, at No. 2 and Chu and Vanooteghem were 8-4 winners over Wileen Chiu and Steinhauer at No. 3.
Breisacher and Scott are undefeated in their last five doubles matches.
The Tritons also defeated the Sea Lions on Feb. 5 by a score of 9-0.
UCSD's road stretch to close out the season begins at Sonoma State on Saturday, April 13.
#19 UC San Diego 8, Point Loma Nazarene 1
April 10, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Maika Adair (PLNU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Hope Penner (PLNU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-0)
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Wileen Chiu (PLNU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Kiersten Steinhauer (PLNU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Maika Adair/Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) 8-3
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Hope Penner/Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) 8-3
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Wileen Chiu/Kiersten Steinhauer (PLNU) 8-4
Point Loma Nazarene 8-14; Regional ranking #10
UC San Diego 12-6; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,4,1,5,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --