LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 17th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team was victorious in one doubles contest and two matches on the singles side, but ended up falling to No. 13 Academy of Art, 6-3, at Northview Courts Sunday.
With the defeat, UCSD dropped to 6-9 on the season, while Academy of Art improved to 8-1.
Paula Chou and Kyra Scott were the lone victors on the doubles side for UCSD, defeating opponents Daniela Amelunge and Nina Gajdosikova, 8-3, at the No. 1 spot. At No. 2, Tritons Nava Nowamooz and Shannon Theisen were beat, 8-4, by Jenny Johansson and Lucia Zavarcikova. To wrap up the doubles slate, Laura Wilke and Tara Vanooteghem fell at No. 3 to Michelle Dandik and Annika Schneider, 8-5.
Scott, ranked 32nd nationally in singles play, went on to secure her second win of the day at No. 1, where she defeated Gajdosikova, 7-5, 6-1. Nowamooz was the other Triton to get a win in singles, beating Dandik at the No. 3 position by scores of 6-4 and 6-0.
The Tritons host Western New Mexico on Wednesday, March 12, at 2 p.m.
#13 Academy of Art University 6, #17 UC San Diego 3
March 9, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Nina Gajdosikova (AAU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Lucia Zavarcikova (AAU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) def. Michelle Dandik (AAU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Annika Schneider (AAU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-3, 6-0
5. Daniela Amelunge (AAU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jenny Johansson (AAU) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 6-0, 6-0
1. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Daniela Amelunge/Nina Gajdosikova (AAU) 8-3
2. Jenny Johansson/Lucia Zavarcikova (AAU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-4
3. Michelle Dandik/Annika Schneider (AAU) def. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) 8-5
Academy of Art University 8-1; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #3
UC San Diego 6-9; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,6,3,2,1)