LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego women's volleyball program will add standout middle blocker Lauren Demos to its roster in the fall of 2011. The announcement was made Thursday by head coach Ricci Luyties.
The six-foot-one Demos is a 2011 graduate of volleyball powerhouse Newport Harbor High School in Newport, Calif., where she won a CIF Division I title in 2009. A four-year varsity player, Demos spent the 2007 and 2008 seasons at Stockdale High School in Bakersfield, Calif. Outside of the high school circuit, she competed for Laguna Beach Volleyball Club.
- 2010 Orange County All-Star
- 2010 All-Sunset League
- 2010 CIF Southern Section Scholar-Athlete
- 2010 Newport Harbor High School Coaches Award
- 2009 CIF Division I State Champions
- 2009 CIF Division I Regional Champions
- 2009 CIF Southern Section Division 1-AA Champions
- 2008 All-Southwest Yosemite League
- 2008 Stockdale High School Academic Excellence Award
- 2008 Stockdale High School Scholar-Athlete
- 2008/2007 Student Council
- 2007 Kern River Association Sportsmanship and Dedication Award
- National Honor Society
- Qualified for California Scholarship Federation all eight semesters
- Four-year Honor Roll member
- Girl Scouts of America Silver Award
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes Leadership Team
Demos, along with outside hitter Rachel Gam and setter Amber Hawthorne, who were signed back in January, comprise the 2011 women's volleyball incoming class. All three will come in as true freshman. You can read more about Gam and Hawthorne here.
In 2010, UCSD posted a 19-9 overall record and advanced to the semifinals of the NCAA West Regional. It was the Triton's fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA postseason.
- ucsdtritons.com -