LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 21st-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team dropped its season opener Friday at Northview Tennis Courts, falling by a score of 7-2 against Azusa Pacific.
"We played a really good team in Azusa," said first-year UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "Their one through four singles lineup is made up of tough, gritty guys."
The duo of junior Max Jiganti and sophomore Kona Luu were victorious at No. 2 doubles, taking down APU's Frederik Wilkens and Gary Yam, 8-4.
In addition, sophomore Teddy Truong was a winner at No. 6 singles, posting a hard-fought 6-3, 1-6, 10-5 victory against Yam.
In the No. 1 singles match-up, Triton senior Camill Salomon fell in straight sets to Jochem Hoefnagels, 6-1 and 6-2. Luu went three sets against Whitman Hough at No. 5, but ended up falling by scores of 4-6, 6-3, 5-7.
At No. 1 doubles, Salomon and sophomore Devon Sousa lost an 8-3 decision versus Hoefnagels and Jan Meyers.
"We struggled a little bit in doubles and got off to a slow start because we were wound tight," said Willing. "We're young, we need to calm down a bit during crucial times and that comes only with experience."
The Tritons travel crosstown to take on the University of San Diego Saturday at 9 a.m.
Azusa Pacific 7, UCSD 2
February 1, 2013
Northview Tennis Courts • La Jolla, Calif.
1. Jochem Hoefnagels/Jan Meyer (APU) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-3
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Frederik Wilkens/Gary Yam (APU) 8-4
3. Ben Eger/Whitman Hough (APU) def. Horea Porutiu/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-4
1. Jochem Hoefnagels (APU) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
2. Frederik Wilkens (APU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jan Meyer (APU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-2, 7-6 (5-7)
4. Ben Eger (APU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 7-5, 6-3
5. Whitman Hough (APU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Gary Yam (APU) 6-3, 1-6, 10-5
Azusa Pacific 1-0
UC San Diego 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --