LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 21 UC San Diego men's tennis team earned its first win of the young season Tuesday, defeating Concordia by a score of 7-2 in a hard-fought match at Northview Courts on the La Jolla campus.
The win moved the Tritons to 1-2 overall, while the Eagles fell to 1-1.
UCSD swept all three doubles match-ups while three of six singles contests went to three sets.
In the No. 1 doubles slot, Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa had no trouble with CUI's Bruno Kliskinic and Marc Reddmann, crusing to an 8-1 win. Max Jiganti and Kona Luu won at No. 2, taking down Micah Groom and Christian Wickenhauser by a score of 8-3. Horea Porutiu and Teddy Truong finished the doubles sweep with an 8-4 topping of Farren Casad and Patrick Szeremeta.
"We started off extremely strong in doubles, it was a nice feeling to be up 3-0," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "We made some adjustments at practice yesterday and it really paid off for the guys today."
Jiganti came up big in singles competition as well. Playing at No. 2, the junior defeated Wickenhauser in straight sets, 6-1 and 7-5, to clinch the victory for UCSD. He came back in the second set after finding himself down 4-3.
Ganesh Alagappan was a winner at No. 4, while Luu continued his winning ways in the fifth spot on the singles ladder. Both of those matches went three sets. Truong was a double winner on the day as well, coming out on top at No. 6, taking out Casad in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-1.
"We were pretty confident heading into singles," said Willing. "However, we knew we were going to have a fight against a tough team, and we did. It was an emotional match - being up, then not being able to close it out and finding ourselves down."
UCSD edged Concordia, 5-4, last season in La Jolla.
The Tritons host Westmont on Friday, Feb. 8 at 2 p.m. The Warriors are 1-2 with a win against UC Santa Cruz and losses to UC Santa Barbara and Fresno Pacific.
1. Bruno Kliskinic (CUI) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Christian Wickenhauser (CUI) 6-1, 7-5
3. Reddmann, Marc (CUI) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 7-6, 0-6, 13-11
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Micah Groom (CUI) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Patrick Szeremeta (CUI) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
6. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Farren Casad (CUI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Bruno Kliskinic/Marc Reddmann (CUI) 8-1
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Micah Groom/Christian Wickenhauser (CUI) 8-3
3. Horea Porutiu/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Farren Casad/Patrick Szeremeta (CUI) 8-4
Concordia (CA) 1-1
UC San Diego 1-2; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,2,3,5,4)
-- UCSDtritons.com --