RIVERSIDE, Calif. - The 21st-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over UC Riverside Tuesday afternoon at Andulka Park.
UCSD, which improved to 2-2 with its second consecutive win, took four of six singles tilts. Division I UC Riverside won the doubles point, but fell to 1-6 overall with the loss.
"I was very happy with our singles play and how aggressive we were," said UCSD coach Timmer Willing.
In the No. 1 singles spot, Camill Salomon won his first match as a Triton, taking down Jimmy Roberts in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-4. A senior, Salomon transfered to UC San Diego from Virginia Commonwealth.
Junior Max Jiganti evened his season record at 2-2 by defeating Julian Ruffin, 6-1 and 6-1, in the No. 2 singles match-up.
Also victorious in singles play for the Tritons were redshirt freshman Ganesh Alagappan and sophomore Teddy Truong. Competing at No. 4, Alagappan went 6-3, 6-1 against Calvin Ngo. At No. 5, Truong posted a 6-3, 6-1 win in his match versus Kevin Griffin.
"Ganesh was really aggressive," said Willing. "He stayed on top of his guy and never let him breathe."
Truong, now 3-0 on the young season, clinched the victory for UCSD with his win.
Salomon was a multiple winner for the Tritons as he teamed with sophomore Devon Sousa at No. 1 doubles to record an 8-5 win against Roberts and Simon Peters.
The Highlanders won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to pick up the point.
UC San Diego defeated UC Riverside by the same score last season.
UCSD heads across the Pacific to compete in the five-day Hawaii Hilo Dual Meet Tournament Feb. 15-19.
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 6-1, 6-4
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Luis Gastao (UCR) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 7-6, 6-3
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Calvin Ngo (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
5. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
6. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Simon Peters/Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 8-5
2. Kevin Griffin/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-6
3. Calvin Ngo/Julian Ruffin (UCR) def. Horea Porutiu/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 2-2; National ranking #21
UC Riverside 1-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,1,5,6,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --