LA JOLLA, Calif.- The No. 12 UC San Diego men's tennis team earned an 8-1 decision over Western New Mexico Wednesday in its fifth match of eight straight at home.
UCSD won all three doubles tilts and five of six singles matches to improve to 9-5 on the season. All five of the singles victories came in straight sets.
WNMU fell to 5-5 with the loss.
“We started off strong in doubles against a team that has given some other teams some trouble this year,” said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing.
In the No. 1 singles spot, Max Jiganti defeated Rodrigo Almeida by scores of 6-3 and 6-2. At No. 2, Rajeev Herekar took down Alvaro Nunez, 6-3 and 6-0 to clinch the victory for the Tritons. Ganesh Alagappan dispatched Juan Pablo Fuentes, 6-3 and 6-4, at No. 3.
Francisco Damasio picked up the Mustangs' lone win of the afternoon, defeating Kona Luu, 6-4 and 7-6, at No. 5 singles.
The duo of Herekar and Meyer began the day with a solid 8-3 win against Brechtel and Jean-Laurent Pageault in the No. 3 doubles spot. At the No. 1 spot, Jiganti and Luu defeated Almeida and Fuentes, 8-4. Miaule and Horea Porutiu followed with an 8-5 win against Nunez and Damasio at No. 2.
“Overall, it was a good day for us,” said Willing. “We were able to build some momentum after the loss against Barry and prepare for this weekend against Hawaii Pacific and Sonoma.”
Up next, the Tritons face a tough test against No. 5 Hawaii Pacific on Saturday, March 15, at noon. The Sea Warriors blanked the Tritons, 9-0, in Hawaii on Feb. 16.
#12 UC San Diego 8, Western New Mexico 1
March 12, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Rodrigo Almeida (WNMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Alvaro Nunez (WNMU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Juan Pablo Fuentes (WNMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Sascha Brechtel (WNMU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Francisco Damasio (WNMU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-4, 7-6
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Omar Lopez (WNMU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Rodrigo Almeida/Juan Pablo Fuentes (WNMU) 8-4
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Francisco Damasio/Alvaro Nunez (WNMU) 8-5
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Sascha Brechtel/JeanLaurent Pageault (WNMU) 8-3
Western New Mexico 5-5
UC San Diego 9-5; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,2,1,4,3,5)