AZUSA, Calif. - The No. 11 UC San Diego men's tennis team suffered a 7-2 defeat against No. 10 Azusa Pacific Friday afternoon at the Munson & Bavougian Tennis Complex.
UCSD won just one doubles match and one singles match. Two of the singles losses went to three sets.
The Tritons' first point of the day came when Rajeev Herekar and Mark Meyer defeated Pascal Engel and Alan Leahy, 8-6, at No. 3 doubles. However, APU was already up 2-0 after winning the No. 1 and No. 2 tilts.
UCSD's singles victory was earned by Horea Porutiu at No. 5. The sophomore took down Yam in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4.
At No. 1 singles, Meyer, the fifth-ranked player in the country, defeated Jiganti by scores of 6-1 and 6-4.
Ganesh Alagappan at No. 3 and Luu at No. 4 each battled to three sets, but ended up on the losing end.
UC San Diego was also defeated by Azusa Pacific, 5-4, on Feb. 8 in La Jolla.
It is the first time this season the Tritons have dropped two straight contests to Division II opponents as they lost to Point Loma Tuesday.
#10 Azusa Pacific 7, #11 UC San Diego 2
April 11, 2014 at Azusa, CA (Munson & Bavougian Tennis Complex)
1. #5 Jan Meyer (APU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-1, 6-4
2. #7 Frederik Wilkens (APU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Pascal Engel (APU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Alan Leahy (APU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Gary Yam (APU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tomas Aranguiz (APU) def. Mark Meyer (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
1. Jan Meyer/Gary Yam (APU) def. #22 Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-3
2. Frederik Wilkens/Tomas Aranguiz (APU) def. Horea Porutiu/Daniel Minami (UCSD) 8-4
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Pascal Engel/Alan Leahy (APU) 8-6
UC San Diego 15-8; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #4
Azusa Pacific 17-5; National ranking #10; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,6,3,5,4)
Official: Diana Williams