LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 28th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team faced off against No. 5 Hawaii Pacific on Friday at Northview Tennis Courts and lost to the Sea Warriors, 5-0, after rain pushed back the start time to the evening.With the loss, the Tritons drop to 6-5 overall. UCSD will try to get back in the win column when it hosts Sonoma State (2-9) on Saturday at 3 p.m. SSU has lost six straight.
UCSD's closest opportunity to winning a match came in No. 2 doubles, where junior Max Jiganti and sophomore Kona Luu took on Adriano Locorotondo and Yann Renault. However, the HPU duo dealt a 9-8 defeat to the Triton twosome to complete the Sea Warriors' doubles sweep.
Senior Camill Salomon and sophomore Devon Sousa competed against Petr Michnev and Gerald Moretti in No. 1 doubles, but Salomon and Sousa were beaten by their opponents, 8-2. Junior Rajeev Herekar and sophomore Teddy Truong also ended their match with an 8-2 outcome after being defeated by Max Hertl and Jaume Martinez-Vich in No. 3 doubles.
Facing a 3-0 deficit at the completion of the doubles matches, the Tritons attempted to make up for their losses in singles play. Sophomore Guy Giubilato faced off against Renault in No. 6 singles and dropped the first set, 6-1. Giubilato did slightly better in the second set but was outscored, 6-2, to lose the match in straight sets.
In No. 4 singles, junior Maxence Dutreix played against Moretti and managed to win a few games during his 6-3 loss in the first set, but just as Giubilato had done in his singles match, Dutreix lost by a score of 6-2 in the second set.
The Sea Warriors climb to a perfect 5-0 record overall with the win and will return to Northview Tennis Courts to play No. 2 West Florida (7-1) on Saturday at noon.
#5 Hawaii Pacific 5, #28 UC San Diego 0
Mar 08, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) vs. Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) vs. Maxime Halflants (HPU) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) vs. Gerald Moretti (HPU) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. Max Hertl (HPU) def. Maxence Dutreix (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) vs. Yann Renault (HPU) 5-4, unfinished
6. Clemens Graute (HPU) def. Guy Giubilato (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
1. Petr Michnev/Gerald Moretti (HPU) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-2
2. Adriano Locorotondo/Yann Renault (HPU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 9-8
3. Max Hertl/Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-2
Hawaii Pacific 5-0; National ranking #5; Regional ranking #1
UC San Diego 6-5; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4)
-- UCSDtritons.com --