PHOENIX, Ariz. - On the second day of action at the Grand Canyon University Duals, the UC San Diego women's tennis team rolled to an 8-1 victory against Dominican.
UCSD, which holds a No. 32 national ranking, won all three doubles contests and five of six singles matches to improve to 3-1 on the season. Dominican lost its third straight to fall to 1-5.
Freshman Kyra Scott was victorious at both No. 1 doubles and No. 2 singles. She is now 3-0 overall in singles play this season.
Paula Chou, Melinda Chu, Tara Vanooteghem and Jacquelyn Davis also won at singles and doubles. Vanooteghem holds a 4-0 record at the No. 5 singles slot.
The duo of Scott and Melissa Breisacher defeated the Penguins' No. 1 squad of Marissa Frazer and Gaby Verspieren, 8-4. In the No. 2 doubles match, Chou and Davis downed Irina Morozova and Emily Prescott, 8-4. Chu and Vanooteghem had no issues at No. 3, cruising to an 8-1 win against Francesca Katafias and Maria Ariana Paradis.
Dominican earned its only win of the day at No. 1 singles as Morozova took a 6-2, 6-0 victory against Breisacher.
Scott downed Verspieren by scores of 6-2 and 6-0 at No. 2. Chou came from behind at No. 3 against Frazer. After dropping the first set, 7-5, she took the second, 6-3, to force a tiebreaker. The freshman then edged her opponent, 13-11, for the victory.
Chu, Vanooteghem and Davis all won in straight sets at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
The Tritons wrap up play in Phoenix Monday with an 8 a.m. (PT) dual against Dixie State.
#32 UC San Diego 8, Dominican (CA) 1
Feb 17, 2013 at Phoenix, AZ
1. Irina Morozova (DUC) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Gaby Verspieren (DUC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Marissa Frazer (DUC) 5-7, 6-3, 13-11
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Emily Prescott (DUC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Francesca Katafias (DUC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Maria Ariana Paradis (DUC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Marissa Frazer/Gaby Verspieren (DUC) 8-4
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Irina Morozova/Emily Prescott (DUC) 8-4
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Francesca Katafias/Maria Ariana Paradis (DUC) 8-1
Dominican (CA) 1-5
UC San Diego 3-1; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,6,1,2,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --