LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 27 UC San Diego women's tennis team cruised to an 8-1 victory against Hawaii Hilo Sunday afternoon at Northview Courts on campus.
UCSD started the match by sweeping doubles and continued its strong play in singles, dropping just six total games.
Melissa Breisacher and Kyra Scott played in the No. 1 doubles slot for UCSD and defeated Anna Hamlin and Emelie Laussen, 8-3. At No. 2, Paula Chou and Jacquelyn Davis bested Morrisa Kahakui and Rachel Sugiyama, 8-2. Melinda Chu and Tara Vanooteghem had no issues in their No. 3 doubles match, dispatching Megan Fujitake and Cassidy Hand soundly, 8-1.
In singles, Scott (No. 2), Chou (No. 3), Vanooteghem (No. 5) and Davis (No. 6) were all victorious by 6-0, 6-0 scores. Chu won her No. 4 tilt, 6-1 and 6-1.
The lone loss of the day for UCSD came at No. 1 singles as Breisacher was defeated by Laussen, 6-0, 6-4.
The Tritons improved to 8-4 overall while the Vulcans fell to 0-2.
Up next, UCSD will be tested by 10th-ranked West Florida in La Jolla on Tuesday, March 12 at 2 p.m.
#27 UC San Diego 8, Hawaii Hilo 1
Mar 10, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Emelie Laussen (UHH) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-0, 6-4
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Anna Hamlin (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Rachel Sugiyama (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Morrisa Kahakui (UHH) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Megan Fujitake (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Cassidy Hand (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Anna Hamlin/Emelie Laussen (UHH) 8-3
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Morrisa Kahakui/Rachel Sugiyama (UHH) 8-2
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Megan Fujitake/Cassidy Hand (UHH) 8-1
Hawaii Hilo 0-2
UC San Diego 8-4; National ranking #27; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,2,3,4,1)
-- UCSDtritons.com --