OAKLAND, Calif. - The 11th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team won its fourth consecutive match Friday in convincing fashion, shutting out Holy Names by a 9-0 count.
The victory moved UCSD to 13-6 overall on the season. HNU fell to 7-10.
The Tritons blasted the Hawks in singles play, winning all six matches in straight sets. At No. 1, Max Jiganti defeated Andrew Amor, 6-4 and 6-4.
The best match-up of the day came in the top doubles slot. The 22nd-ranked duo of Jiganti and Luu held on for a tight 9-7 win over Amor and Rafael Martinez.
At No. 2, Miaule and Horea Porutiu defeated Tracy Beblie and Brook Workeneh, 8-2. In the No. 3 spot, Herekar and Meyer topped Patrick Johnson and Jonah Tahilan, 8-1.
It was the second win for the Tritons over the Hawks this season as they picked up an 8-1 victory in La Jolla on Feb. 23.
UCSD plays at No. 9 Fresno Pacific Saturday at 4 p.m. The Tritons eked out a 5-4 win against the Sunbirds on Feb. 22.
#11 UC San Diego 9, Holy Names 0
April 4, 2014 at Oakland, CA (Merritt College Tennis Courts)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Andrew Amor (HNU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Brook Workeneh (HNU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Rafael Martinez (HNU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Jonah Tahilan (HNU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Ivan Parra (HNU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Patrick Johnson (HNU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #22 Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Andrew Amor/Rafael Martinez (HNU) 9-7
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Tracy Beblie/Brook Workeneh (HNU) 8-2
3. Mark Meyer/Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Patrick Johnson/Jonah Tahilan (HNU) 8-1
UC San Diego 13-6; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #4
Holy Names 7-10; Regional ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,3,6,2,1)
Official: Michael Eckstut T-2:25 A-17