LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 14 UC San Diego men's tennis team defeated 13th-ranked Fresno Pacific by a score of 5-4 in a hard-fought, physically demanding match Saturday afternoon at Northview Courts.
UCSD, which improved to 7-4 overall, is ranked fourth in the West region. FPU, ranked second regionally, fell to 6-2 on the season.
UCSD came out firing, winning two of three doubles matches. Max Jiganti and Kona Luu won at No. 1, 8-4, against Thomas Gely and Kyle Rowe. Rajeev Herekar and Mark Meyer combined at No. 2 for an 8-4 win over Michael Tymkiw and Stefan Loop.
Herekar and Meyer hold the team’s best doubles record this season at 8-1.
Jiganti picked up his second victory of the day at No. 1 singles by taking down Tymkiw. Jiganti won the first set, 6-0, before his opponent was forced to retire.
Both Meyer and Andrew Malozsak took their singles matches to three sets, but came out in the winning end at No. 5 and No. 6. Malozsak fought through cramps at No. 5 to win by scores of 6-7, 6-0 and 6-4.
“It was a pretty grueling day with very long matches,” said UCSD head Coach Timmer Willing. “Everybody is feeling good about the win. We hadnn't beaten that team in a long time. Now it is time to get ready for tomorrow and keep it rolling.”
UCSD continues its three-match home stand against Holy Names on Sunday, Feb. 23, at 10 a.m. The Hawks hold an 1-3 overall record.
#14 UC San Diego 5, #13 Fresno Pacific 4
Feb 22, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Michael Tymkiw (FPU) 6-0, retired
2. Thomas Gely (FPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
3. Kyle Rowe (FPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Brendan Aguilar (FPU) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Leonardo Urquidi (FPU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Andrew Malozsak (UCSD) def. Stefan Loop (FPU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-0, 6-4
1. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Thomas Gely/Kyle Rowe (FPU) 8-4
2. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Stefan Loop/Michael Tymkiw (FPU) 8-4
3. Brendan Aguilar/Leonardo Urquidi (FPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-2
Fresno Pacific 6-2; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #2
UC San Diego 7-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,4,5,6,3)