PHOENIX, Ariz. - The UC San Diego women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season Saturday, falling by a 7-2 score against BYU-Hawaii, the nation's second-ranked team, at Grand Canyon University.
BYUH, which improved to 7-0 with the win, swept the three doubles matches and came out on top in four of the six singles contests. UCSD fell to 2-1 on the season.
The Tritons picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles. In the second slot, freshman Kyra Scott won by default over Sherry Liu. Tara Vanooteghem took her match with Sasha Ulbrichtova to a tiebreaker, winning by scores of 7-5, 2-6, 10-7.
At the top of the singles ladder, Annie Hwang defeated UCSD's Melissa Breisacher in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-1.
Breisacher and Scott represented the Tritons at No. 1 doubles and fell, 8-1, to Hwang and Liu. Melinda Chu and Vanooteghem battled with Jade Griffin and Ulbrichtova at No. 3, but were edged by a score of 8-6.
It was the first time the Tritons and Seasiders had met in a dual since March 24, 2010, when BYUH took a 9-0 decision in Laie.
UCSD continues play in Phoenix Sunday with a dual against Dominican at 9 a.m.
#2 BYU-Hawaii 7, #32 UC San Diego 2
Feb 16, 2013 at Phoenix, Ariz.
1. Annie Hwang (BYUH) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Sherry Liu (BYUH), by default
3. Marika Kobayashi (BYUH) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 7-6
4. Marietta Tuionetoa (BYUH) def. Melinda Chu (UCSD) 6-3, 6-0
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Sasha Ulbrichtova (BYUH) 7-5, 2-6, 10-7
6. Jade Griffin (BYUH) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
1. Annie Hwang/Sherry Liu (BYUH) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-1
2. Marika Kobayashi/Marietta Tuionetoa (BYUH) def. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 8-1
3. Jade Griffin/Sasha Ulbrichtova (BYUH) def. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 8-6
UC San Diego 2-1; National ranking #32
BYU-Hawaii 7-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,6,4,3,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --