LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego women's tennis team kicked off a seven-match home stand on a high note Monday, cruising to an 8-1 victory over Western New Mexico at Northview Courts.
UCSD improved to 5-2 overall while WNMU fell to 4-6.
The near-sweep for the Tritons included singles wins at No. 2 through No. 6 and victories at all three spots on the doubles ladder.
UCSD's singles wins came in straight sets, with three Tritons not giving up a game. At No. 2, Kyra Scott improved to 6-0 by defeating Ashley Newell (6-0, 6-0). Paula Chou downed Claudia Osuna at No. 3 (6-2, 6-0), Melinda Chu defeated Doris Berberic at No. 4 (6-0, 6-0), Tara Vanooteghem moved to 7-0 with a win over Diamond Morrill at No. 5 (6-2, 6-0) and Jacquelyn Davis topped Davida Aragon at No. 6 (6-0, 6-0).
The only loss for UCSD on the day came at No. 1 singles, where Melissa Breisacher was defeated by Ganna Tiurina in a tiebreaker (1-6, 6-2, 10-8).
In doubles play, the duo of Breisacher and Scott defeated Newell and Tirurina, 8-4, at No. 1. Chou and Davis were winners at No. 2, 8-2, over Aragon and Osuna. At No. 3, Liza Brusman and Melody Wu made their season debuts and battled to a 9-8 victory against Berberic and Morrill.
UCSD hosts Sonoma State on Friday, March 1, at 1 p.m.
#32 UC San Diego 8, Western New Mexico 1
Feb 25, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Ganna Tiurina (WNMU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 1-6, 6-2, 10-8
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Ashley Newell (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Claudia Osuna (WNMU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Doris Berberic (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Diamond Morrill (WNMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Davida Aragon (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Ashley Newell/Ganna Tiurina (WNMU) 8-4
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Davida Aragon/Claudia Osuna (WNMU) 8-2
3. Liza Brusman/Melody Wu (UCSD) def. Doris Berberic/Diamond Morrill (WNMU) 9-8 (7-2)
Western New Mexico 4-6
UC San Diego 5-2; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,6,5,3,1)
-- UCSDtritons.com --