LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 28 UC San Diego men's tennis team was edged, 5-4, by 12th-ranked Fresno Pacific Sunday afternoon at Northview Courts.
UCSD came out firing, winning two of three doubles matches. The Tritons were also victorious at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, but it wasn't quite enough to pull off the upset.
At No. 2 doubles, Max Jiganti and Kona Luu defeated Amarit Sanchez and Michael Tymkiw, 8-3. Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong combined at No. 3 for an 8-2 win over John Kariman and Stefan Loop. In the top spot, Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa were narrowly beaten, 9-7, by Kyle Rowe and Kirill Sinitsyn.
Jiganti and Luu hold the team's best doubles record this season at 9-3.
Jiganti picked up his second victory of the day at No. 2 singles by putting down Sanchez. He won the opening set, 6-4, but was shutout, 6-0, in the second. The junior rebounded to take another 6-4 win in the third.
Also coming up with a singles win was Ganesh Alagappan at No. 4. He topped Kyle Rowe in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-2.
Both Luu and Truong took their singles matches to three sets, but came out on the losing end at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
UCSD continues its nine-match home stand against West Florida on Tuesday, March 12 at 2 p.m. The Argos are ranked second nationally and hold an 8-1 overall record.
#12 Fresno Pacific 5, #28 UC San Diego 4
Mar 10, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Amarit Sanchez (FPU) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
3. Marco Gabriel (FPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Kyle Rowe (FPU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
6. Stefan Loop (FPU) def. Teddy Truong (UCSD) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
1. Kyle Rowe/Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 9-7
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Amarit Sanchez/Michael Tymkiw (FPU) 8-3
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. John Karlman/Stefan Loop (FPU) 8-2
Fresno Pacific 9-3; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #3
UC San Diego 7-6; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,1,4,5,2,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --