KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The 21st-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team was shutout, 9-0, by No. 5 Hawaii Pacific Sunday.
UCSD dropped to an even 3-3 with the loss, while HPU improved to 2-0.
The Tritons were competitive on the doubles ladder. At No. 1, Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa faced Petr Michnev and Gerald Moretti. At No. 2, Max Jiganti and Kona Luu teamed up to take on Max Hertl and Jaume Martinez-Vich. Both UCSD squads were defeated 8-5. Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong lost, 8-6, to Maxime Halflants and Adriano Locorotondo at the third spot.
In singles play, Salomon went up against Michnev, the eighth-ranked singles player in the nation. Salomon dropped the opening set, 6-2, but came back to take the second by a score of 7-5, forcing a tiebreaker. Michnev outlasted Salomon, 10-7, for the victory.
The Sea Warriors won the remaining five singles match-ups in straight sets. At No. 6, Teddy Truong suffered his first loss of the season, falling to Graute Clemens by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Truong is 4-1 in singles action this season.
The Tritons will have a chance at redemption when they host Hawaii Pacific on March 8 in La Jolla.
UCSD wraps up its three-match visit to Hawaii Monday with an 11 a.m. (PT) tilt at Hawaii-Hilo. The Tritons and Vulcans played each other this past Friday with UCSD cruising to an 8-1 win.
#5 Hawaii Pacific 9, #21 UC San Diego 0
Feb 17, 2013 at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1. Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-2, 5-7, 10-7
2. Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Gerald Moretti (HPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
4. Max Hertl (HPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
5. Adriano Locorotondo (HPU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-3, 6-0
6. Graute Clemens (HPU) def. Teddy Truong (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Petr Michnev/Gerald Moretti (HPU) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-5
2. Max Hertl/Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-5
3. Maxime Halflants/Adriano Locorotondo (HPU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-6
UC San Diego 3-3; National ranking #21
Hawaii Pacific 2-0; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,5,2,1,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --