LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 27 UC San Diego women's tennis team finished its lengthy homestand against No. 10 West Florida on Tuesday at Northview Tennis Courts, where the Tritons were dealt a slim 5-4 defeat from the Argonauts.
The Tritons, who drop to 8-5 overall with the loss, will travel to Irvine to take on Concordia (5-5) on Thursday, March 28 at noon.
UCSD entered singles play after losing, 2-1, to the Argonauts in doubles play. The Triton twosome of freshman Paula Chou and senior Jacquelyn Davis claimed UCSD's only win in No. 2 doubles against the Argonaut pairing of Luiza Sonnervig and Mariana Sonnervig, defeating the sisters, 9-8 (7-3).
Davis later won her match in No. 6 singles against Fernanda Amaral, 6-3, 6-4.
The other matches UCSD scored victories were in No. 2 and No. 5 singles, also in straight sets. Freshman Kyra Scott climbed to a perfect 12-0 upon beating Luiza Sonnervig, 6-2, in both sets of their No. 2 singles match, while junior Tara Vanooteghem bested Giovana Patitucci in the first set of her No. 5 singles contest, 6-2, before blanking her Argonaut opponent in second set, 6-0.
Although the Argonauts served the Tritons with straight-set losses in No. 1 and No. 4 singles, Chou served as the last stand between the Argonauts and their overall win in No. 3 singles.
Chou lost the first set of her match with Nina Bubelova, 6-2. However, Chou evened the match by winning the second set by the same score to force a deciding third set. Though she gave it her all, Chou fell to Bubelova, 7-5, in the third set to clinch the match for the Argonauts.
The Argonauts, who improve to 7-3 overall, will continue on the road to face Shorter (6-3) on Saturday at 10 a.m. EST.
#10 West Florida 5, #27 UC San Diego 4
Mar 12, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Monika Kochanova (UWF) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Luiza Sonnervig (UWF) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nina Bubelova (UWF) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
4. Mariana Sonnervig (UWF) def. Melinda Chu (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Giovana Patitucci (UWF) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Fernanda Amaral (UWF) 6-3, 6-4
1. Monika Kochanova/Giovana Patitucci (UWF) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-4
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Luiza Sonnervig/Mariana Sonnervig (UWF) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Fernanda Amaral/Nina Bubelova (UWF) def. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 8-2
West Florida 7-3; National ranking #10
UC San Diego 8-5; National ranking #27; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --