ROHNERT PARK, Calif. - For the first time in 27 meetings, the UC San Diego women's tennis team was defeated by Sonoma State as the Seawolves came from behind to take a 7-2 victory Friday at SSU Tennis Courts.
UCSD, ranked 17th nationally, won two of three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead, but No. 35 SSU swept all six singles contests to earn its first win in the all-time series.
The Tritons fell to 7-11 with the loss. The Seawolves, which have won eight consecutive matches, improved to 12-4 on the season.
Sonoma State got out to a 1-0 lead by winning the No. 2 doubles match. UC San Diego tied it up as Paula Chou and Kyra Scott, ranked 17th in the country, won their No. 1 tilt against Sara Celma and Kaitlyn Haithcock, 8-5. The Tritons took a 2-1 advantage after Tara Vanooteghem and Laura Wilke defeated Karlee Budge and Sheena Johnson, 8-6, at No. 3.
It was all SSU from there as the Seawolves won four of the six singles matches in straight sets. Celma, the eighth-ranked singles player in the nation, downed No. 26 Scott, 7-6 and 6-1, in the No. 1 spot.
Nava Nowamooz and Vanooteghem each took their matches to three sets, but ended up losing at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.
It was the first of seven straight road matches for UCSD. The Tritons travel to Fresno Pacific on Saturday, March 29. The Sunbirds hold a No. 33 national ranking. UC San Diego defeated FPU, 7-2, on Feb. 22 in La Jolla.
#35 Sonoma State 7, #17 UC San Diego 2
March 28, 2014 at Rohnert Park, CA (SSU Tennis Courts)
1. #8 Sara Celma (SSU) def. #26 Kyra Scott (UCSD) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
2. Leire Martinez (SSU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 6-0
3. Kaitlyn Haithcock (SSU) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
4. Sheena Johnson (SSU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Karlee Budge (SSU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-0, 6-3
6. Lauren Ha (SSU) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 7-5, 6-2
1. #17 Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Sara Celma/Kaitlyn Haithcock (SSU) 8-5
2. Lauren Ha/Leire Martinez (SSU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-2
3. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) def. Karlee Budge/Sheena Johnson (SSU) 8-6
UC San Diego 7-11; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #5
Sonoma State 12-4; National ranking #35; Regional ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,1,6,3,4)