LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team cruised to a 7-2 win over Whittier Saturday afternoon at Northview Tennis Courts.
UCSD, which has now won five of its last six matches, improved to 5-3 overall. Whittier suffered its first loss and fell to 2-1.
The Tritons won five of six match-ups on the singles ladder and two of three doubles contests. Three of the singles victories came in straight sets.
Camill Salomon played at No. 1 for the Tritons and defeated Julian Seneviratne by scores of 6-2 and 6-1. Max Jiganti took down David Konstantinov at No. 2 (5-7, 7-5, 10-6) and Rajeev Herekar won at No. 3 over Chris Schommer (2-6, 6-2, 6-4).
In doubles play, Jiganti and Luu paired up at No. 2 and defeated Schommer and Andrew Hansen handily, 8-1. Herekar and Teddy Truong outlasted Matthew Herron and Shogo Shimizu at No. 3, 9-7.
UCSD hosts Western New Mexico on Feb. 25 at 3 p.m.
#21 UC San Diego 7, Whittier 2
Feb 23, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Julian Seneviratne (WHIT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. David Konstantinov (WHIT) 5-7, 7-5, 10-6
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Chris Schommer (WHIT) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Matthew Herron (WHIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Andrew Hansen (WHIT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Samuel Farmer (WHIT) def. Andrew Malozsak (UCSD) 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
1. David Konstantinov/Julian Seneviratne (WHIT) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-3
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Andrew Hansen/Chris Schommer (WHIT) 8-1
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Matthew Herron/Shogo Shimizu (WHIT) 9-7
UC San Diego 5-3; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,4,3,6,2)
-- UCSDtritons.com --