LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team won the doubles point and never looked back, rolling to a 5-1 win over BYU-Hawaii Wednesday at Northview Tennis Courts.
Winners of three of its last four matches, the 28th-ranked Tritons improved to 10-8 overall. After winning five straight, the Seasiders have now lost two in a row, falling to 8-5.
UCSD won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take a 2-1 lead. In the second spot, Max Jiganti and Kona Luu defeated Wei-Feng Lee and Dai Peng, 8-3. Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong took an 8-4 victory against Isaac Hadley and Hua Kun Xing at No. 3.
"We played well in doubles and had a chance to win all of them," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "We didn't quite get it though against a good team that made some solid shots."
Luu's win at No. 5 singles sealed the victory for the Tritons. He had no trouble with Hadley, taking him down by scores of 6-4, 6-0. Jiganti beat Martin Chojnacki, 6-1 and 6-3, at No. 2 and Horea Porutiu dispatched Peng, 6-1 and 6-1, in the sixth slot.
Three singles match-ups were left unfinished after UCSD picked up the deciding fifth point.
"I'm really proud of the way we played," said Willing. "They fought hard and got us a quality win today."
With three regular season contests remaining, the Tritons take to the road to play at the Sonoma State Invitational in Rohnert Park. UCSD goes up against Fresno Pacific on April 5 and the host Seawolves on April 7. The Tritons defeated SSU and lost against the Sunbirds in early March.
#28 UC San Diego 5, #41 BYU-Hawaii 1
April 03, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) vs. Yevhen Zakharov (BYUH) 6-7, unfinished
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Martin Chojnacki (BYUH) 6-1, 6-3
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) vs. Wei-Feng Lee (BYUH) 3-6, 5-1, unfinished
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) vs. Hua Kun Xing (BYUH) 6-6 (4-1), unfinished
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Isaac Hadley (BYUH) 6-4, 6-0
6. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Dai Peng (BYUH) 6-1, 6-1
1. Martin Chojnacki/Yevhen Zakharov (BYUH) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-6
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Wei-Feng Lee/Dai Peng (BYUH) 8-3
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Isaac Hadley/Hua Kun Xing (BYUH) 8-4
BYU-Hawaii 8-5; National ranking #41; Regional ranking #6
UC San Diego 10-8; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --