IRVINE, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team was on the losing end of a 6-1 decision against Division I opponent UC Irvine Saturday at Anteater Tennis Stadium.
UCSD now sits at 12-10 overall while UCI is 6-16.
UCI got out to a 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches. The Anteaters clinched the victory early by winning the first three singles contests that came off.
UCSD's lone win of the day came at the No. 3 singles spot as Ganesh Alagappan defeated Reo Asami in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-4.
The Tritons pushed two singles matches to tiebreakers. At No. 1, Camill Salomon dropped the opening frame, 7-5, but rebounded for a 7-6 win in the second against Ryan Cheung. However, Cheung earned the victory with a 10-7 edge in the tiebreaker.
The No. 4 match-up between Kona Luu and Jonathan Hammel was extremely tight. Hammel went up 1-0 with a 6-4 first set win, but Luu tied it up by taking set two by the same score. The tiebreaker was stretched to extra points and Hammel held on, topping Luu by a 13-11 count.
The Tritons have most likely solidified a spot in the upcoming NCAA Championships, which will be held May 8-11 in Surprise, Ariz. The top-two teams from each of the country's eight regions will compete. Currently, UC San Diego is ranked second in the West behind Hawaii Pacific. The third and final NCAA regional rankings will be released on April 17. The NCAA Championships selections and pairings will be announced on April 23 at 5:30 p.m. Pacific at ncaa.com.
UCSD will host an alumni event at North Courts in La Jolla on Saturday, April 20 at 10:30 a.m.
UC Irvine 6, #28 UC San Diego 1
April 13, 2013 at Irvine, CA (Anteater Tennis Stadium)
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 7-5, 6-7, 10-7
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Reo Asami (UCI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-4, 4-6, 13-11
5. Justin Agbayani (UCI) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Devon Sousa (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ryan Cheung/Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-5
2. Justin Agbayani/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-3
3. Tyler Pham/Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Ganesh Alagappan/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 12-10; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
UC Irvine 6-16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,5,3,4,1)
-- UCSDtritons.com --