LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 14 UC San Diego men's tennis team earned its second win of the season Tuesday, defeating Point Loma by a score of 7-2 in a hard-fought match at Northview Courts on the La Jolla campus.
UCSD improved to 2-3 overall, while the Sea Lions fell to 0-2.
The Tritons won five of six match-ups on the singles ladder and two of three doubles contests. Four of the singles victories came in straight sets.
Max Jiganti played at No. 1 for the Tritons and defeated Michael Zablan by scores of 6-3 and 7-6. Rajeev Herekar took down Kaptan Kaster at No. 3 (4-6, 6-2, 10-5) and Ganesh Alagappan won at No. 4 over Daniel Milliken (6-3, 6-1).
The Sea Lions' lone singles victory came at No. 2
In doubles play, Alexandre Miaule and Porutiu paired up for a battle at No. 2 with the win against Kaster and Milliken, 8-5. Herekar and Meyer defeated Benjamin Hammond and Kevin McKelligan handily, 8-0 at No. 3.
“It was a good day for us,” said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. “It’s great to be heading to Hawaii on a winning note.”
UCSD travels to Hawaii this week for three days, taking on Hawaii Hilo Friday, BYU-Hawaii Saturday and Hawaii Pacific Sunday.
#14 UC San Diego 7, #48 Point Loma 2
Feb 11, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Michael Zablan (PLNU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Brooks Baldinger (PLNU) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Kaptan Kaster (PLNU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Daniel Milliken (PLNU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Kevin McKelligan (PLNU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Wesley Lerg (PLNU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Brooks Baldinger/Michael Zablan (PLNU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-5
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Kaptan Kaster/Daniel Milliken (PLNU) 8-5
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Benjamin Hammond/Kevin McKelligan (PLNU) 8-0
Point Loma Nazarene 0-2; National ranking #48; Regional ranking # 6
UC San Diego 2-3; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,2,1,3)