MURRIETA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team defeated UC Riverside 6-1 at the Murrieta Tennis Club on Sunday to conclude the opening weekend of the 2011 season with a pair of wins.
After registering an 8-1 road victory over Redlands on Saturday, the Tritons dominated the Division I Highlanders on Sunday, winning five out of the six singles matches, while also claiming the doubles point.
Senior Erik Elliott captured a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Felix Macherez in the No. 1 spot on the singles ladder to get things started for UCSD, while Chapman Chan and Sam Ling defeated their opponents at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, as well.
Ryan Stanbury recorded UC Riverside's only point of the day after defeating UCSD's Vincent Nguyen, 7-5, 6-4, in the fourth position, but Austin West and Max Jiganti follwed with victories at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
In doubles action, Elliott and West teamed up to take down Michael Conroy and Quoc Don 8-6 in the top spot and Maxence Dutreix and Jigante defeated Austin Andres and Raineir Matias at No. 3.
The Tritons will now travel to Phoenix for the Grand Canyon Tournament, which runs next Friday through Sunday.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Felix Macherez (UCR) 6-4, 6-1
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Quoc Doan (UCR) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Austin Andres (UCR) 5-7, 6-3 (10-4)
4. Ryan Stanbury (UCR) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) 7-5, 6-4
5. Austin West (UCSD) def. Michael Conroy (UCR) 6-1, 6-4
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 7-6, 6-3
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Conroy/Doan (UCR) 8-6
2. Griffin/Macherez (UCR) def. Emani/Wall (UCSD) 8-4
3. Dutriex/Jigante (UCSD) def. Andres/Matias (UCR) 8-3
UCSD 6, UC Riverside 1