GLENDALE, Ariz. -
The UC San Diego men's tennis team continued its torrid start to the 2011 season on Friday, picking up a convincing 9-0 triumph over Dallas Baptist University on the opening day of the Grand Canyon Invitational at the Paseo Racquet Center in Glendale.
The Tritons dominated the Patriots, winning all three doubles matches and then sweeping the singles competiton in straight sets. UCSD, which was coming off an impressive 6-1 win over Division I UC Riverside on Sunday, improves to 3-0 on the season. The Tritons also defeated the University of Redlands during the opening weekend of competion.
UCSD made quick work of DBU in doubles, as Erik Elliott
and Austin West
defeated Phillip Allen and Richard Abel, 8-0, at No. 1 and Chapman Chan
and Devon Sousa
took down Clint Baird and Chris Braaten, 8-1, at No. 2. Armaun Emami
and Jason Wall
followed with an 8-1 triumph over Justin Hanna and Joe Yeado at No. 3 to complete the sweep for the Tritons.
It was more of the same when the match moved to the singles competition as the Tritons picked up easy victories all the way down the ladder. Elliott defeated Allen, 6-2, 6-2 in the top spot, while Chan and Sam Ling
posted straight set victories at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively. Junya Yoshida
, Vincent Nguyen
and West collected wins in spots four through six.
The Tritons will return to the courts on Saturday as the Grand Canyon Invite runs through Sunday.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Phillip Allen (DBU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Richard Abel (DBU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Clint Baird (DBU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) def. Justin Hanna (DBU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Chris Braaten (DBU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Austin West (UCSD) def. Joe Yeado (DBU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Allen/Abel (DBU) 8-0
2. Chan/Sousa (UCSD) def. Baird/Braaten (DBU) 8-1
3. Emami/Wall (UCSD) def. Hanna/Yeado (DBU) 8-1
UCSD 9, Dallas Baptist 0