GLENDALE, Ariz. -
The UC San Diego men's tennis team put the Division II collegiate tennis world on notice Saturday, registering two huge wins on the second day of the Grand Canyon Invitational held at the Paseo Racquet Center in Glendale.
After edging No. 11 Hawaii Pacific 5-4 in their first match of the day, the Tritons came back to take down host GCU by the same score later that evening.
With the pair of victories, UCSD improves to 3-0 during tournament play this weekend and an impressive 5-0 overall on the season. The Tritons will look to stay perfect when they conclude the Grand Canyon Invitational with a matchup against Hawaii Hilo on Sunday at noon.
"I'm just really happy for the whole group to be able to work hard enough to put our team back into the national scene," head coach Eric Steidlmayer said after UCSD's triumph over Grand Canyon. "We've been playing very well across the board and we're getting great results, so I'm very pleased with where we're at."
In the win over Hawaii Pacific, the Tritons claimed an early 2-1 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches. Erik Elliott and Austin West took down Peter Michnev and Ari Davis, 9-7 at No. 1, while Armuan Emami and Jason Wall picked up an 8-4 victory over Matiss Libietis and Sari Alotaibi at No. 3.
UCSD went on to win three out of the six tightly contested singles matches to claim the victory. Chapman Chan, Junya Yoshida and West won for the Tritons in the two, four and six spots on the ladder respectively, while HPU claimed wins at No. 1, 3 and 5.
The clash with Grand Canyon played out much the same way, as UCSD won at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to grab an early lead and then took three singles matches to complete the victory. Erik Elliott, Vincent Nguyen and Max Jiganti all pulled out their matches in singles competition.
UCSD 5, No. 11 HPU 4
1. Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Erik Elliott (UCSD) 6-1, 7-6
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Matiss Libietis (HPU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Sebastian Bader (HPU) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 7-5, 6-1
4. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) def. Ari Davis (HPU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ji Hoon Heo (HPU) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) 7-6, 6-4
6. Austin West (UCSD) def. Wilhelm Irwe (HPU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Michnev/Davis (HPU) 9-7
2. Bader/Heo (HPU) def. Sousa/Chan (UCSD) 8-1
3. Emami/Wall (UCSD) def. Libietis/Sari Alotaibi (HPU) 8-4
UCSD 5, Grand Canyon 4
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Ahmad Saleem (GCU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Patrice Giraldi (GCU) def. Chapman Chan (UCSD) 6-3, 7-6
3. Frederic Schoelzel (GCU) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Stephane Murray (GCU) def. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
5. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Kevin Anderson (GCU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Jake Spizman (GCU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Schoelzel/Murray (GCU) 8-6
2. Saleem/Giraldi (GCU) def. Jigante/Sousa (UCSD) 8-6
3. Emami/Wall (UCSD) def. Anderson/Will Herbert (GCU) 8-6