The Tritons won five of their six singles matches in straight sets. Erik Elliott failed to give up a break in his 6-2, 6-0 win over David Shaheen while Austin West defeated Liam Bohonnon by a similar count, 6-0, 6-3. Junya Yoshida and Sam Ling both won 6-2, 6-4 over their respective opponents. Vincent Nguyen was the lone Triton not to win in straight sets in singles; Nguyen dropped the first set 4-6 to Ryan Peyton, but recovered with 6-2 and 14-12 wins in the final two sets to overtake Peyton.
West-Elliot teamed to take a 9-7 victory in doubles over Thomas O'Brien and Andrew Adler. Rajeev Herekar and Max Jiganti took care of their opponents, 8-4, while the third Triton pairing of Armaun Emami and Jason Wall defeated Kyle Grandan and Matt Colonnese, 8-2.
The win marks UCSD's eighth consecutive victory to start the spring season. The match against the Wildcats was the Tritons' first on their home court thus far.
UCSD will return to Northview Tennis Courts on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. to take on Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. Also, select doubles teams will be competing this Thursday-Sunday in the Pacific Coast Doubles Championships in La Jolla.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. David Shaheen (VILL); 6-2, 6-0
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Trenton Alenik (VILL); 6-3, 6-4
3. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) def. Thomas O'Brien (VILL); 6-2, 6-4
4. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Matt Colonnese (VILL); 6-2, 6-4
5. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Ryan Peyton (VILL); 4-6, 6-2, 14-12
6. Austin West (UCSD) def. Liam Bohonnon (VILL); 6-0, 6-3
1. West/ Elliott (UCSD) def. O'Brien/Andrew Adler (VILL); 9-7
2. Rajeev Herekar/ Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Shaheen/John Drosick (VILL); 8-4
3. Armaun Emami/Jason Wall (UCSD) def. Kyle Grandan/Colonnese (VILL); 8-2
UC San Diego 9, Villanova 0