UCSD improves to 10-0 on the season with the victory, which snapped an impressive five-match winning streak for WNMU. The Mustangs fall to 5-2 overall.
The Tritons, who have won several close decisions during their impressive run, were in control from the outset on Tuesday, claiming a 2-1 lead in doubles play and then winning four of the six singles matches to put it out of reach.
Austin West and Erik Elliott downed Emmanuel Mensah and Johan Weich, 8-6, and No. 1 doubles, while Jason Wall and Chapman Chan teamed to post an 8-2 win over Yair Banuelos and Henning Thrien at No. 2.
UCSD would proceed to claim four points in singles as well, as Elliott, Chan, West and Jigante all got by their opponents. Elliott defeated Mensah, 7-5, 6-1 in the top spot on the ladder, while Chan rebounded from a first set loss to take down Banuelos, 3-6, 6-2, 8-7, at No. 2.
West's win came at No. 5 as he handily defeated Weich, 6-1, 6-1, and Jigante recorded a 6-3, 6-1 win over Belin at No. 6.
The Tritons will continue their current home stand against Barry University on Friday at 2:00 p.m. UCSD will then face off with Hawaii Pacific and Lafayette College on Saturday and Sunday to wrap up the week.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Emmanuel Mensah (WNMU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Yair Banuelos (WNMU) 3-6, 6-2, 8-7
3. Henning Thrien (WNMU) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-4, 7-5
4. Rodrigo Almeida (WNMU) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
5. Austin West (UCSD) def. Johan Weich (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Jean Benoit Belin (WNMU) 6-3, 6-1
UCSD 6, Western New Mexico 3