LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team put the finishing touches on an impressive week of competition on Sunday, recording a resounding 9-0 victory over Division I opponent Lafayette College at the Northview Tennis Courts on campus.
The Tritons went 4-0 in four home matches this week, taking down Western New Mexico, Barry University and Hawaii Pacific before turning away the Leopards on Sunday. UCSD now stands at a perfect 13-0 on the season, the program's best record in Eric Steidlmayer's 13 seasons as head coach.
"We played well this week," he said. "We've been playing great on the road this season, but it was nice to come home for a while. I thought we faced some quality opponents this week and fortunately we were able to get the job done."
After clawing their way to victories over Barry and HPU on Friday and Saturday, the Tritons made quick work of Lafayette to conclude the weekend. UCSD swept the Leopards in doubles play and then followed suit in the singles matches, as well. UCSD won three of the six matches in straight sets.
Erik Elliott, Sam Ling and Max Jiganti needed three sets to get by their opponents at Nos. 1, 3 and 5 singles, but the rest of the squad won in short order as the Tritons rolled to the shutout victory, their third of the season.
UCSD will take next week off for final exams and then return to the courts for a home matchup with Sonoma State on Friday, March 25.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Justin Haar (LC), 6-1, 4-6, 10-5
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Doug Gallagher (LC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Scott Gelbman (LC), 3-6, 6-0, 10-7
4. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Kyle MacLelland (LC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Sinan Ipeker (LC), 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Maxence Dutreix (UCSD) def. Will Mercorella (LC), 6-2, 6-2
1. Elliott/Austin West (UCSD) def. Haar/Ipeker (LC), 8-2
2. Chan/Jason Wall (UCSD) def. Gallagher/Mercorella (LC), 8-4
3. Armaun Emami/Jiganti (UCSD) def. Gelbman/Andrew Morris (LC), 8-1
UCSD 9, Lafayette College 0