LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 10th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team added another victory to its perfect season on Wednesday, defeating Concordia Irvine 7-2 at the Northview Tennis Courts.
UCSD improved to 16-0 with the victory, while Concordia, a member of the NAIA, dropped to 7-11.
The Tritons, who were also awarded the No. 1 spot in Tuesday's NCAA West Regional poll, looked sharp in their first match since March 26. After taking two out of the three doubles points, UCSD won five out of six matches in singles play to easily turn back the visitors.
Tied in doubles play after two sets, the Tritons top duo of Erik Elliott and Austin West hammered the Eagles' Bruno Santarelli and Jan Guler for the 9-8 win. Armaun Emami and Max Jiganti took down Kareem Berdal and Abhinauv Venugopal 8-3 at No. 3, as well.
Elliott and West were similarily victorious in singles at No. 1 and 6, respectively, while Chapman Chan, Junya Yoshida and Vincent Nguyen recorded singles wins as well.
Head coach Eric Steidlmayer congratulated his players on a stellar return to the court after the 17-day layoff.
"It was a good win getting the rust off," he quipped.
The Tritons will return to the courts next Tuesday, April 19 to take on Point Loma Nazarene in a home matchup at 2:00 p.m.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Kareem Berdai (Concordia) 0-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Bruno Santarelli (Concordia) 6-3, 6-3
3. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) def. Ryan McNamara (Concordia) 6-4, 7-5
4. Jan Guler (Concordia) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-4, 6-0
5. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Abhinauv Venugopal (Concordia) 7-5, 6-1
6. Austin West (UCSD) def. Pat Szeremeta (Concordia) 6-3, 6-4
UC San Diego 7, Concordia Irvine 2