LA JOLLA, Calif. - It took nearly five hours to get there, but the No. 10 UC San Diego men's tennis team took care of business against Point Loma Nazarene on Tuesday, recording a 6-3 victory over the NAIA No. 6-ranked Sea Lions at the Northview Tennis Courts.
The Tritons, who have dispatched squads from multiple levels during their undefeated season in 2011, claimed two out of the three doubles matches and then won four out of six in singles play to turn back the visitors from across town. UCSD improved to a sparkling 17-0 with the win, while PLNU dropped to 14-5.
"It was a very long match, but we got the result we were looking for," head coach Eric Steidlmayer said. "That's a good team over there and it was nice to get a win to start off this stretch of four matches in five days."
The day got off to a competitive start in doubles play as the losing squad scored at least four points in all three matches. UCSD's top pair of Erik Elliott and Austin West got by Joel Myers and KC Ensley, 8-6, while Armaun Emami and Max Jiganti posted a 6-5 victory over DJ Jaehnig and Angel Tavera at No. 3. Tyler Bowman and Diego Tavera got the better of Jason Wall and Chapman Chan, 8-4, at No. 2 to get Point Loma on the board.
The Tritons had their hands full in singles as well, as all four of their victories came in three sets. Elliott and Vincent Nguyen came through with hard-fought wins at No. 1 and No. 4, respectively, while West and Jiganti battled back from early holes to take down their opponents at No. 5 and No. 6.
The Sea Lions rang up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles as Bowman took down Chan and Ensley defeated Sam Ling.
UCSD will now wrap up the regular season with three matches at the Sonoma State Invitational this weekend. The Tritons will face No. 44 Hawaill Hilo on Thursday to begin the tournament, before squaring off with No. 23 Grand Canyon and host Sonoma State on Friday and Saturday.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Joel Myers (PLNU) 7-5, 6-7, 7-6
2. Tyler Bowman (PLNU) def. Chapman Chan (UCSD) 6-3, 7-6
3. KC Ensley (PLNU) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Diego Tavera (PLNU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
5. Austing West (UCSD) def. DJ Jaehnig (PLNU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Michael Zablan (PLNU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Myers/Ensley (PLNU) 8-6
2. Bowman/Diego Tavera (PLNU) def. Jason Wall/Chan (UCSD) 8-4
3. Armaun Emami/Jiganti (UCSD) def. Jaehnig/Angel Tavera (PLNU) 8-5
UCSD 6, Point Loma 3