ROHNERT PARK, Calif. - The 10th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team won its opening match at the Sonoma State Invitational Thursday, taking down Hawai'i Hilo, 5-4, to remain unbeaten at 18-0.
The Tritons won four of the six singles matches, while the Vulcans took two of three doubles match-ups.
UCSD senior Erik Elliott won his No. 1 singles match in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-3, over Stephen Royalty. It was his sixth consecutive win at No. 1, his last loss coming against Hawai'i Pacific's Petr Michnev on March 12.
Senior Vincent Nguyen's No. 4 singles match went to three sets. He won the opening frame, 6-2, over Vulcan Bryan Canavan, but fell in set two, 3-6. Nguyen battled to a gritty 6-4 victory in the third to give him the match.
Also picking up singles wins were Austin West at No. 5 and Max Jiganti at No. 6. West defeated Kallen Mizuguchi, 6-3, 6-0, while Jiganti topped Matthew Tavares, 6-2 and 6-1. Jigante had a winning day as he and Armaun Emami teamed at No. 3 doubles to beat Mizuguchi and Carlos Quijano, 8-3, UCSD's lone doubles win.
Hawai'i Hilo fell to 4-13 with the loss.
UCSD takes on Grand Canyon Friday and wraps up play at the tournament against host Sonoma State on Saturday. Both matches are slated for 2 p.m. starts. Saturday's contest will be the Tritons' final regular season match prior to the NCAA postseason.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Stephen Royalty (UHH) 6-2, 6-3
2. Carlos Quijano (UHH) def. Chapman Chan (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ryan Coffey (UHH) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-0, 6-7, 6-1
4. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) def. Bryan Canavan (UHH) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Austin West (UCSD) def. Kallen Mizuguchi (UHH) 6-3, 6-0
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Matthew Tavares (UHH) 6-2, 6-1
1. Canavan/Coffey (UHH) def. Elliott/West 8-5
2. Royalty/Larson Oliva (UHH) def. Jason Wall/Chan (UCSD) 8-6
3. Emami/Jiganti (UCSD) def. Mizuguchi/Quijano (UHH) 8-3
No. 10 UCSD 5, Hawai'i Hilo 4
- ucsdtritons.com -