Photo by: Ken Grosse/UCSD Athletics
Tritons Topple Grand Canyon on Day Two of Sonoma State Invitational
The Tritons took two out of three in doubles play and then split the six singles matches to record their second one-point victory in as many days. UCSD defeated Hawaii Hilo by a 5-4 margin on Thursday to kick off the three-day SSU Invite.
Head coach Eric Steidlmayer's group improves to 19-0 overall with the win and will now look to wrap up the regular season with an unblemished record on Saturday against tournament host Sonoma State. The Tritons swept the Seawolves, 9-0, on March 25 in La Jolla.
Grand Canyon falls to 10-7 on the year after suffering its second loss to UCSD this season. The Tritons also clipped the Antelopes, 5-4, on February 12 in Glendale, Ariz.
UCSD grabbed a 2-1 lead through doubles as Erik Elliott and Austin West took down GCU's Frederic Schoelzel and Stephane Murray, 9-8, in the top spot and Armaun Emami and Max Jiganti got the better of Patrice Giraldi and Kevin Anderson, 8-6, at No. 3.
The Antelopes would rally to post victories at No. 1, 3 and 4 singles to make things very interesting, but the Tritons pulled out wins in the other three spots to hang on. Chapman Chan climbed out of an early hole to defeat Murray, 0-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the second spot on the ladder, while West and Jiganti made quick work of their opponents at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. West downed Anderson, 6-4, 7-6, and Jigante got by Will Herbert with east, 6-1, 6-0.
Senior Erik Elliot, who entered the match with a 17-2 singles record, lost a 6-3, 7-5 decision to Schoelzel at No. 1 singles to fall for the first time in weeks.
UCSD's tilt with SSU will get underway at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday on the Sonoma State campus.
1. Frederic Schoelzel (GCU) def. Erik Elliott (UCSD) 6-3, 7-5
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Stephane Murray (GCU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Patrice Giraldi (GCU) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 7-5, 6-3
4. Ahmad Saleem (GCU) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Austin West (UCSD) def. Kevin Anderson (GCU) 6-4, 7-6
6. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Will Herbert (GCU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Elliott/West (UCSD) def. Schoelzel/Murray (GCU) 9-8
2. Saleem/Anderson (GCU) def. Jason Wall/Chan (UCSD) 8-4
3. Armaun Emami/Jiganti (UCSD) def. Giraldi/Herbert (GCU) 8-6
UCSD 5, Grand Canyon 4