RONHERT PARK, Calif. - The 10th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team closed out a three-day stand at the Sonoma Invitational Saturday, deftly defeating tournament host Sonoma State University, 8-1. The victory marks the end to a perfect regular season for the Tritons, who recorded an incredible overall record of 20-0.
This marks the first time in UCSD history that the men's tennis team has gone undefeated at either the Divsion II or III level.
The Tritons previously defeated the Seawolves, 9-0, in La Jolla on March 25 and nearly got the same result in the rematch on Saturday.
Erik Elliott and Austin West got UCSD off to a strong start at No. 1 doubles, defeating Taylor Bianco and Daniel Henke, 9-7. Chapman Chan and Jason Wall followed suit with an 8-6 victory over Jimmy Manning and Bryce Keefer at No. 2 and Armaun Emami and Max Jiganti completed the doubles sweep with a quick 8-2 victory over Scott Gaynor and Anthony Rollins in the third spot.
Rollins had the sole victory for the Seawolves in singles, defeating Vincent Nguyen, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4. The remainder of the pairings belonged to the Tritons, who went 5-1 with victories from Elliott, Chan, Sam Ling, Jiganti and Jake Fellow.
To say Head Coach Eric Steidlmayer is proud of his players is an understatement.
"I am really happy and proud of the guys," Steidlmayer said. "We had a ton of close matches and to win them all is truly remarkable. It was absolutely a team effort all season long and we're excited for the next step."
The Tritons will now carry their perfect record into the NCAA Championship Finals, which run from May 11-14. The tournament field will be announced Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. PT. UCSD will receive a bye in Regionals and advance directly to Nationals in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Sonoma State ended its season at 5-15 with the loss.
1. Erik Elliott (UCSD) def. Taylor Bianco (SSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Chapman Chan (UCSD) def. Drexler Dy (SSU) 6-1, 4-6 (10-7)
3. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Scott Gaynor (SSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Anthony Rollins (SSU) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
5. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Stewart Hutton (SSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jake Fellow (UCSD) def. Bryce Keefer (SSU) 5-7, 6-3 (10-6)
1. Elliott/Austin West (UCSD) def. Bianco/Daniel Henke (SSU) 9-7
2. Chan/Jason Wall (UCSD) def. Jimmy Manning/Keefer (SSU) 8-6
3. Armaun Emami/Jiganti (UCSD) def. Gaynor/Rollins (SSU) 8-2
UC San Diego 8, Sonoma State 1