RIVERSIDE, Calif. - The No. 10 UC San Diego men's tennis team overcame windy conditions Thursday at UC Riverside to defeat the Highlanders by a narrow 4-3 margin at the SRC Tennis Courts.
UCSD swept Division I UC Riverside in doubles play and clinched the bottom three spots on the singles ladder to improve to 7-1 on the season. The Highlanders fell to 3-6 overall.
Devon Sousa and Austin West downed Austin Andres and Felix Macherez, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles. In the second spot, Kona Luu and Jason Wall teamed to defeat Kevin Griffin and Jimmy Roberts, 8-4. Sam Ling and Junya Yoshida were winners over Luis Gastao and Simon Peters, 8-6, at No. 3 doubles.
The Highlanders were dominant in the top three singles spots, with Chapman Chan, Yoshida and West all losing in straight sets. The latter half of the singles match-ups saw heroic, three set efforts from Tritons Max Jiganti, Ling and Luu, who were victorious against their respective Highlander opponents.
"It was a gutsy win in horribly windy conditions," UCSD head coach Eric Steidlmayer said.
After six straight matches away from La Jolla, the Tritons return home to face Concordia on Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.
No. 10 UC San Diego 4, UC Riverside 3
February 16, 2012
SRC Tennis Courts
1. Devon Sousa/Austin West (UCSD) def. Austin Andres/Felix Macherez (UCR) 8-4
2. Kona Luu/Jason Wall (UCSD) def. Kevin Griffin/Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 8-4
3. Sam Ling/Junya Yoshida (UCSD) def. Luis Gastao/SimonPeters (UCR) 8-6
1. Felix Macherez (UCR) def. Chapman Chan (UCSD) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) def. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Austin Andres (UCR) def. Austin West (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
5. Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- UCSDtritons.com -