LA JOLLA, Calif. - Strong singles play led the No. 27 UC San Diego women's tennis team to a 6-3 victory against Seton Hall Tuesday afternoon at Northview Courts.
Down 2-1 after the doubles portion of the match, UCSD won five of six singles contests to secure the win over the Division I Pirates.
Continuing her strong freshman season, Kyra Scott moved to 9-0 with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Rocio Portela at No. 2 singles. Also picking up her ninth win of the season (9-1) was junior Tara Vanooteghem, who defeated Karina Cordero, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, at No. 5.
UCSD won the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 singles match-ups in straight sets. Freshman Paula Chou defeated Alex Landert in the third spot (6-4, 6-4), sophomore Melinda Chu downed Madison Shoemaker at No. 4 (7-5, 7-6) and senior Jacquelyn Davis won her No. 6 contest against Maria Rodriguez (6-3, 6-3).
Senior Melissa Breisacher played at No. 1 for UCSD and was defeated, 6-4, 6-2, by Chloe Sher.
The Triton team of Chu and Vanooteghem posted an 8-5 win against Anna Guryanova and Landert in the No. 3 doubles match.
UCSD dropped doubles matches at No. 1 and No. 2. In the top spot, Breisacher and Scott fell, 8-4, to Portela and Sher. In a tight No. 2 tilt, Chou and Davis were defeated by Cordero and Shoemaker, 9-7. It was just the second loss of the season for Chou and Davis.
UC San Diego improved to 7-3 on the season while Seton Hall fell to 1-7.
The Tritons, in the midst of a seven-match home streak, takes on fifth-ranked Hawaii Pacific on Friday, March 8 at noon.
#27 UC San Diego 6, Seton Hall 3
Mar 05, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Rocio Portela (SHU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Alex Landert (SHU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU) 7-5, 7-6
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Karina Cordero (SHU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Maria Rodriguez (SHU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Rocio Portela/Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-4
2. Karina Cordero/Madison Shoemaker (SHU) def. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 9-7
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Anna Guryanova/Alex Landert (SHU) 8-5
Seton Hall 1-7
UC San Diego 7-3; National ranking #27; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --