COSTA MESA, Calif. - The No. 19 UC San Diego women's tennis team rolled to a 9-0 blanking of Concordia (Calif.) Thursday afternoon at the Costa Mesa Tennis Center in Orange County.
UCSD improved to 9-5 on the season. CUI, the ninth-ranked team in the NAIA, fell to 8-8.
The Tritons won all six singles match-ups in straight sets. At No. 1, Melissa Breisacher defeated Elizaveta Ignatova by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Freshman Kyra Scott remained undefeated, moving to 13-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Ulrike Hahn at No. 2.
Breisacher and Scott also represented UCSD at the top doubles spot and turned away Ignatova and Mona Piller, 8-4.
Also earning singles victories were Paula Chou, Melinda Chu, Tara Vanooteghem and Jacquelyn Davis.
Chou and Davis were 8-1 winners at No. 2 doubles, while Chu and Vanooteghem recorded an 8-1 win at No. 3.
The Tritons had played their previous seven matches in La Jolla, last competing on the road on Feb. 21.
UCSD, which jumped from No. 28 to its current No. 19 ranking in the most recent national poll, returns home to host Cal State L.A. on March 29 at noon.
#19 UC San Diego 9, Concordia (CA) 0
March 28, 2013 at Costa Mesa, CA (Costa Mesa Tennis Center)
1. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) def. Elizaveta Ignatova (CUI) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Ulrike Hahn (CUI) 6-0, 6-1
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Mona Piller (CUI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Summer Beaird (CUI) 6-2, 6-0
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Kristin Lampe (CUI) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Caitlyn Uzzi (CUI) 6-0, 6-0
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Elizaveta Ignatova/Mona Piller (CUI) 8-4
2. Jacquelyn Davis/Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Summer Beaird/Ulrike Hahn (CUI) 8-1
3. Tara Vanooteghem/Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Caitlyn Uzzi /Kristin Lampe (CUI) 8-1
UC San Diego 9-5; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
Concordia (CA) 8-8
-- UCSDtritons.com --