LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 19th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team trailed after the doubles bouts, but dominated singles play to come back for a 5-2 victory against Academy of Art Saturday at North Courts.
The win moved UCSD to 11-6 overall. Losers of three straight, ART U fell to 15-4.
Behind by a 2-1 count, the Tritons won the first four singles matches that came off to run away with the come-from-behind win.
Freshman Kyra Scott defeated Michelle Dandik in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-1, at No. 2 to tie the match up at 2-2. Jacquelyn Davis then won her No. 6 contest against Kinga Kurczbuch, 6-0 and 6-1, to put UCSD in the lead. Paula Chou gave the Tritons some breathing room with her 6-1, 6-0 topping of Amal Ben El Hadj at No. 3 and Tara Vanooteghem clinched the win with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Tamara Kenia at No. 5.
Scott is now 15-1 overall, while Vanooteghem, who has won six straight singles matches, is 15-2 on the season.
Two singles match-ups went unfinished after UCSD secured the winning point.
Scott and Melissa Breisacher paired up to win the No. 1 doubles match, 8-4 against Ben El Hadj and Dandik. The Urban Knights won the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles tilts.
UCSD, which has won three of its last four, hosts Point Loma Nazarene on April 10 at 2:30 p.m. It will be the final home match of the season for the Tritons.
#19 UC San Diego 5, #38 Academy of Art University 2
April 06, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) vs. Nina Gajdosikova (AAU) 6-4, 0-4, unfinished
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Michelle Dandik (AAU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Amal Ben El Hadj (AAU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) vs. Jenny Johansson (AAU) 3-6, 0-2, unfinished
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Tamara Kenia (AAU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Kinga Kurczbuch (AAU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Amal Ben El Hadj/Michelle Dandik (AAU) 8-4
2. Daniela Amelunge/Nina Gajdosikova (AAU) def. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 8-6
3. Jenny Johansson/Lucia Zavarcikova (AAU) def. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 8-5
Academy of Art University 15-4; National ranking #38; Regional ranking #8
UC San Diego 11-6; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,6,3,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --