COSTA MESA, Calif. - The No. 14 UC San Diego men’s tennis team earned its first win of the young season Wednesday, defeating Concordia (Calif.) by a score of 5-4 in a hard-fought match at the Costa Mesa Tennis Center.
UCSD got out to a 2-1 lead by taking wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Horea Porutiu and Alexandre Miaule won at No. 2, 8-6, against Kai Kope and Severin Diemand. At No. 3, Mark Meyer and Rajeev Herekar rolled to an 8-2 victory over Moritz Pronath and Farren Casad.
Herekar was a two-time winner for the Tritons. Playing at No. 3 singles, the senior defeated Pronath in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4, to clinch the team victory for UCSD.
Kona Luu and Meyer also recorded wins in singles play for the Tritons. At No. 4, Luu picked up a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Kope. Meyer came out on top at No. 6, taking out Hayden Hensley in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-1.
UCSD defeated Concordia, 7-2, last season in La Jolla.
The win moved the Tritons to 1-2 overall, while the Eagles fell to 0-1. Concordia is ranked 12th in the NAIA.
The Tritons host No. 12 Azusa Pacific on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 10 a.m. The Cougars are 1-0 with a win against Vanguard.
#14 UC San Diego 5, Concordia 4
Feb. 5, 2014 at Costa Mesa (Costa Mesa Tennis Center)
1. Christian Wickenhauser (CUI) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jan Guler (CUI) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-1, 6-0
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Moritz Pronath (CUI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Kai Kope (CUI) 6-3, 6-1
5. Severin Diemand (CUI) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Hayden Hensley (CUI) 6-1, 6-1
1. Christian Wickenhauser/Jan Guler (CUI) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-6
2. Horea Porutiu/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Kai Kope/Severin Diemand (CUI) 8-6
3. Mark Meyer/Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Moritz Pronath/Farren Casad (CUI) 8-2
Concordia (CA) 0-1; National ranking #12 NAIA
UC San Diego 1-2; National ranking #14 NCAA Division II
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,6,4,3,5)