LOS ANGELES - The UC San Diego men's tennis team completed its regular season Wednesday with a 5-0 loss against UCLA at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
UCSD, ranked 11th in NCAA Division II, is 15-9 overall on the season. UCLA, the fifth-ranked team in NCAA Division I, is 20-2.
The Bruins picked up the doubles point by winning the No. 1 and No. 2 match-ups. In the top spot, the 17th-ranked duo of Max Jiganti and Kona Luu fell to Marcos Giron and Karue Sell, 8-0. At No. 2, Alexandre Miaule and Horea Porutiu were defeated by Joseph Di Giulio and Michael Guzman, 8-3.
UCLA won the first four singles matches in straight sets to clinch the victory.
At No. 1, Giron, ranked fifth in the country, downed Jiganti by scores of 6-1 and 6-1.
The No. 5 and No. 6 singles contests were not completed. At No. 6, Meyer was up on Brendan Wee, 6-2 and 2-1, before the match was called.
UCSD will now wait to hear if it has qualified for the NCAA Championships, which will be held at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla., May 14-17. The NCAA will announce the field on April 29 at 5 p.m. Pacific. A live selection show will be broadcast at NCAA.com.
UCLA 5, #11 UC San Diego 0
April 16, 2014 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-0, 6-2
3. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-3, 6-0
4. Ryoto Tachi (UCLA) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-0, 6-3
5. Michael Guzman (UCLA) vs. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
6. Brendan Wee (UCLA) vs. Mark Meyer (UCSD) 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
1. Marcos Giron/Karue Sell (UCLA) def. #17 Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-0
2. Joseph Di Giulio/Michael Guzman (UCLA) def. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-3
3. Gage Brymer/Ryoto Tachi (UCLA) vs. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) 5-5, unfinished
UC San Diego 15-9; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,3,4,2)
UCLA No. 5 in NCAA Division I national rankings