LA JOLLA, Calif. - Following a two-week hiatus, the UC San Diego men's tennis team returned to the courts and the win column Wednesday, defeating DePauw by a 6-3 count.
UCSD, ranked 28th nationally in Division II, won four of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests en route to improving to 8-7 on the season. Playing for the first time since March 12, the Tritons snapped a two-match losing slide.
DePauw, a Division III school located in Greencastle, Ind., dropped to 3-11 overall with its third consecutive loss. It was the final tilt of a six-match West Coast road swing for the Tigers.
Camill Salomon won both of his matches in the top slot for the Tritons. At No. 1 singles, he defeated Sam Miles in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4. At No. 1 doubles, he teamed with Devon Sousa to earn an 8-6 victory against Ben Kopecky and Sam Miles.
Max Jiganti was also a two-time winner for UCSD. In his No. 2 singles match, he picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win against Kopecky. Earlier, Jiganti and Mark Meyer paired up to dispatch Chris Bertolini and Alec Kaczkowski, 8-4, at No. 3 doubles. It was the first time that Jiganti and Meyer had played together this season.
Teddy Truong and Horea Porutiu also recorded wins in singles play for the Tritons. At No. 4, Truong battled for a three-set victory against Davis Moss. He dropped the opening set, 6-3, but came back to win the next two by scores of 6-3 and 7-5. In the No. 5 spot, Porutiu did not give up a single game and rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 drubbing of Reid Garlock.
"It was a very competitive match and we played well coming off a fairly long break," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing.
In the midst of a nine-match home stand, UCSD takes on UC Santa Cruz on March 28 at 11 a.m.
#28 UC San Diego 6, DePauw University 3
March 27, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Sam Miles (DPU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Ben Kopecky (DPU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Chris Bertolini (DPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 7-5, 6-3
4. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. David Moss (DPU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Reid Garlock (DPU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Alec Kaczkowski (DPU) def. Maxence Dutreix (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Ben Kopecky/Sam Miles (DPU) 8-6
2. Reid Garlock/David Moss (DPU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 9-7
3. Max Jiganti/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Chris Bertolini/Alec Kaczkowski (DPU) 8-4
DePauw University 3-11
UC San Diego 8-7; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,1,6,2,4)