LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 12 UC San Diego men's tennis team lost, 8-1, against top-ranked Barry Friday in the first of five consecutive home matches at Northview Courts.
UCSD was swept in singles play and fell in two of three doubles matchups. With the loss, the Tritons are now 8-5 on the season, while the Buccaneers remained unbeaten at 12-0.
“Barry is a strong team, they are number one in the country,” said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. “Their number six player is just as good as their number one player.”
Horea Porutiu and Alexandre Miaule secured the lone win for the Tritons at No. 2 doubles. The duo defeated Romain Costamanga and Leo Vivas, 8-6. At No. 1, Max Jiganti and Kona Luu were defeated, 8-2, and at No. 3, Rajeev Herekar and Mark Meyer fell, 8-5.
Jiganti was the only Triton to take a singles match past two sets. At No. 1 against Ahmed Triki, he lost the opener, 6-2, but won the second, 7-6. However, Triki cruised to a 10-7 victory in the tiebreaker.
UCSD hosts Western New Mexico on Wednesday, March 12, at 2 p.m. The Tritons defeated the Mustangs, 7-2, last season.
#1 Barry 8, #12 UC San Diego 1
March 7, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Ahmed Triki (BU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-2, 6-7 (7-0), 10-7
2. Romain Costamanga (BU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
3. #12 Fabian Groetsch (BU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
4. #37 Leo Vivas (BU) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Renato Lombardi (BU) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
6. #41 Kevin Sielmann (BU) def. Mark Meyer (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ollie Lemaitre/Ahmed Triki (BU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-2
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Romain Costamanga/Leo Vivas (BU) 8-6
3. Fabian Groetsch/Renato Lombardi (BU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) 8-5
Barry 12-0; National ranking #1
UC San Diego 8-5; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,5,2,3,1)