UC Santa Barbara Winter Invitational
Saturday, Jan. 26
Game 1 • Santa Clara • 10:10 a.m.
Game 2 • Cal State Northridge • 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 27
Game 3 • Sonoma State • 10:20 a.m.
Game 4 • Claremont-Mudd-Scripps • 3:00 p.m.
Campus Pool • UC Santa Barbara
ABOUT THE UC SANTA BARBARA WINTER INVITATIONAL
• To view the full schedule, or list of results throughout the weekend visit the Tournament Central Page.
• To purchase tickets for this weekend in advance, visit the Ticket Office
in the Intercollegiate Athletics Building on the campus of UC Santa
Barbara, call (805) 893-UCSB or click here to purchase online.
• The UCSB Winter Invite consists of 17 teams including Azusa Pacific, No. 18 Cal Baptist, No. 5 Arizona State, Concordia, No. 8 Loyola Marymount, No. 1 Stanford, Santa Clara, No. 19 UC San Diego, Sonoma State, No. 3 UCLA, No. 17 Cal State Northridge, No. 6 UC Irvine, Pomona-Pitzer, Cal State Bakersfield, Pacific and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
• The Tritons last entered the UC Santa Barbara Winter Invitational back in 2011, as the season opener. UCSD finished the weekend with a split 2-2 record. The Tritons recorded wins over Vanguard (24-3) and Sonoma State (14-10).
• This year, the Tritons face a varied level of opponents as they open play versus fellow WWPA member, Santa Clara. They then play a night match against 17-ranked Division I Cal State Northridge. Day two the Tritons open in similar fashion taking on Sonoma State. Tournament play ends with a game against Division III Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
• UCSD holds a 34-14 combined overall record against these four squads. When it comes to playing fellow WWPA teams, the Tritons are 11-6 versus the Santa Clara Broncos and 12-1 against the Sonoma State Seawolves.
TRITON INVITATIONAL, FEBRUARY 9-10
UCSD will host the annual Triton Invitational, February 9-10 at Canyonview Aquatic Center. 10 of the Top 20 teams in the CWPA Preseason Coaches' Poll will be in attendance. UCSD is 14-14 overall at the Triton Invitational over the past seven seasons. Stay tuned and visit UCSDtritons.com for ticket information, directions and tentative schedule. Match-ups will be determined the week of the tournament.
The Tritons are coming off a successful season in 2012. UCSD earned the No. 2 seed for the WWPA Tournament thanks to a 8-2 conference record and eventually met conference foe Loyola Marymount in the tournament championship game, eventually dropping the tight fought battle 7-6 to the Lions. UCSD ended the season at 21-14 overall with the program's most wins in a single season since 2003. The Tritons graduated five seniors at the season's end- Bates, Biehle, Tran, Peng and Taylor.
Fourth-year head coach Brad Kreutzkamp enters 2013 with 19 student-athletes on his roster, featuring nine returning letter winners. The group is highlighted by returning award winners Sarah Lizotte (2012 First Team All-WWPA), Rachel Brooks (2012 WWPA All-Freshman Team), and Melissa Bartow (2011 WWPA All-Freshman Team).
IN THE POLLS
UCSD was picked to finish second in a preseason poll of WWPA coaches, it was announced Thursday, Jan. 17. Loyola Marymount received 49 total points and seven first-place votes to become the favorite to win its tenth WWPA title in 13 years. Both LMU and UC San Diego have split the last two WWPA titles with the Tritons winning in 2011 and the Lions in 2012. UCSD received CWPA Top 20 rankings in the preseason poll, taking the 20th spot on January 16. The Tritons and Lions were the only two WWPA teams to receive rankings.
FOLLOW THE TRITONS
There are now more ways than ever
to follow the Tritons. You've always got UCSDtritons.com at your
fingertips, but our social media scene continues to grow. Get instant
updates on Twitter and like us on Facebook. For a more visual approach, watch our YouTube channel. Follow the Tritons all year long on social media for behind-the-scenes looks!
UC San Diego Athletics is excited to announce the launch of UCSDTritonsGear.com,
which provides a web-based, on-demand option for UCSD athletic apparel
and merchandise. Fans have access to over 600 products, including
special event and championship gear.
-- UCSDtritons.com --