SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The 32nd-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team posted a dominating 9-0 victory at Point Loma Nazarene Tuesday afternoon.
With the win, UCSD improved to 2-0 while PLNU dropped to 0-2.
The Tritons won all six singles match-ups against the Sea Lions in straight sets.
Senior Melissa Breisacher was a winner at the top of both ladders. In No. 1 singles, she defeated Maika Adair 6-1 and 6-4. She also teamed with freshman Kyra Scott at No. 1 doubles to take a commanding 8-1 win against Hope Penner and Preethika Venugopal.
Scott was victorious in her No. 2 singles match, downing Penner 7-6, 6-1. Freshman Paula Chou won at No. 3 singles, sophomore Melinda Chu came out on top in the No. 4 tilt, junior Tara Vanooteghem won at No. 5 and senior Jacquelyn Davis took the No. 6 match. Spots three through six all featured identical 6-4, 6-1 scores.
The duo of Chou and Davis defeated Adair and Sharon Reibstein at No. 2 doubles, 8-3. At No. 3, Chu and Vanooteghem posted an 8-4 victory against Wileen Chiu and Kiersten Steinhauer.
The Tritons are off to a strong start thus far with wins over Azusa Pacific (6-3) and now PLNU. Last season, UCSD suffered losses against both squads, falling 8-1 at APU and 7-2 at home versus Point Loma.
UCSD is off until Feb. 16-18 when it plays at the Grand Canyon Invitational in Arizona. The Tritons will face second-ranked BYU-Hawaii, Dominican and Dixie State.
1. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) def. Maika Adair (PLNU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Hope Penner (PLNU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Wileen Chiu (PLNU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Kirsty Mountain (PLNU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Hope Penner/Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) 8-1
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Maika Adair/Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) 8-3
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Wileen Chiu/Kiersten Steinhauer (PLNU) 8-4
UC San Diego 2-0; National ranking #32
Point Loma Nazarene 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,5,3,1,6,2)
-- UCSDtritons.com --