SAN DIEGO - The University of California San Diego rowing teams were on Mission Bay Sunday to host the 15th Annual Row for the Cure.
The San Diego Row for the Cure, established in 2002, raises funds via entry fees, donations and raffle tickets, with all proceeds going directly to Komen for the Cure and the fight against breast cancer. This year's event set a new high mark, raising over $26,000.
In a repeat of last year's performance, the UC San Diego men took first place in the Open 8, marking a winning time of 11:11. The Tritons beat out two Orange Coast College crews, with its "A" boat coming in second with a time of 11:28 and the "B" contingent placing third in 12:21. The boat consisted of Micah Adelsohn, Steven Bolton, Greg Coffman, Nicholas Gennaro, Ryan Newberry, Kenneth Padden, Alec Petty, Tynan Rodger and coxswain, Lily Ouyang.
The Women's Open 8 event saw UCSD's "A" crew (Brooke Campbell, Amber Carrington, Tonya Khounani, Storrey Lance, Jordan Levy, Sydney McGuire, Sarah Moore, Alana Zaleski/Coxswain: Marie Kawahara) place fifth with a time of 13:08. Following in sixth was the "B" boat (Jaida Aikens, Evelyn Brady, Sierra Colvin, Jennifer Dutton, Amber Harris, Malanie Jaffe, Catherine Mosher/Coxswain: Madelyn Brown), recording a time of 13:37. The Tritons' "C" squad (Audrianna Chastain, Lauren Iannetta, Brianna Lehane, Nina Lundbland, Isabella Martinez, Malia Mizuno, Tallulah Strom, Madeleine Wagner/Coxswain: Taylor Scarborough) was ninth with a time of 14:24.
The University of San Diego crossed the finish line first in 11:54, 34 seconds ahead of the next boat.
In the Women's Open 4+, the Tritons sent out two boats. The "B" crew with Brooke Campbell, Tonya Khounani, Sydney McGuire, Alana Zaleski and coxswain, Madelyn Brown, took eighth in 15:06 and the "A" with Jennifer Dutton, Amber Harris, Lauren Iannetta, Jordan Levy and Marie Kawahara at coxswain, finished 10th with a time of 15:44. Again, the University of San Diego won, marking a time of 13:28.
In the Men's Open 4+, UC San Diego posted a time of 13:08 as the only boat in the race. The rowers in the boat were Gibb Anella, Jason Germain, Dexter Hekking and Sean Reynolds with Liz Schmeding at coxswain.
Sunday's event also featured races for outriggers, kayaks, surf skis and stand-up paddle boards.
Of the funds raised at Row for the Cure, 75 percent is allocated toward the San Diego community to provide support for uninsured and underinsured women with breast cancer diagnoses, treatment and services, while the remaining 25 percent goes directly toward financing national breast cancer research.
Both the men's and women's rowing programs will be back on Mission Bay Nov. 13 for the San Diego Fall Classic.
Women's Open 8
1. University of San Diego "A" 11:54
2. San Diego State "A" 12:28
3. San Diego State "B" 12:42
4. University of San Diego "B" 12:47
5. UC San Diego "A" 13:08
6. UC San Diego "B" 13:37
7. Orange Coast College "A" 13:37
8. San Diego State "C" 13:43
9. UC San Diego "C" 14:24
Women's Open 4+
1. University of San Diego "A" 13:28
2. San Diego State "A" 13:45
3. University of San Diego "B" 13:49
4. San Diego State "C" 14:07
5. University of San Diego "D" 14:11
6. San Diego State "B" 14:16
7. University of San Diego "C" 14:55
8. UC San Diego "B" 15:06
9. Orange Coast College 15:21
10. UC San Diego "A" 15:44
Men's Open 8
1. UC San Diego "A" 11:11
2. Orange Coast College "A" 11:28
3. Orange Coast College "B" 12:21
Men's Open 4+
1. UC San Diego "A" 13:08